Emergency Family Shelter
Our Emergency Family Shelter program combines a private, safe setting and basic necessities with effective, individualized case management services for homeless families with children."I had nowhere to go with my three children. Thanks to
we all had
a place to go"
Maryann, a Shelter Mom
We strive to keep parents and children together as they work toward becoming stable and productive in their homes, jobs, and schools. We have six furnished units in an apartment building in West Chester, PA. Each unit is equipped with linens, towels, dishes, pots and pans, and cleaning supplies. Because they live in their own apartments, families can continue their normal daily routine and maintain their privacy during a very stressful time.
Our Shelter Coordinator develops a unique service plan for each family and helps them set short and long term goals as they work toward independence. We refer families to many support services in the community, including public assistance, medical and dental care, mental health services, budgeting, family planning, parenting and other counseling services. Children who are under age five are screened and referred for early intervention if they are developmentally delayed or need preschool services.
During their time in our program, our residents seek stable housing and employment; they attend job skills training programs, apply for assistance and enroll their children in day care, school, or summer camp. They usually stay for 60 to 90 days.
Your gift will help homeless families achieve lasting independence.
Would you like to help families set up a new home?
It's easy—join our SOS Network.
- Giant or Acme gift cards for food
- Kmart or Walmart gift cards for clothing and other necessities
- Rite Aid cards for formula, diapers, medications (Rite Aid is walking distance from the shelter)
- New twin size bed sheets, blankets, and bedspreads
- New kitchen and bath linens
- Paper products: paper towels, toilet paper, and napkins
- Personal care items: shampoo, toothpaste, etc.
- And for fun . . . movie gift cards